Depending on how long your original programme is, you may be able to apply for an extension.
You are allowed to apply to extend your internship to a maximum 12 months total duration.
If you choose to extend you MUST apply for this at least 6 weeks in advance of the end date on your DS-2019 Certificate (this is the actual end date at your host Company- NOT the end date of your programme).
In order to extend your programme please email our team at firstname.lastname@example.org to request we unlock your online training plan for an extension. Your Host Company will then be able to log in and complete this.
You will also need to download your own part of the Extension application - please download this below.
**Please note: We will be unable to review your online Extension until we have received your completed PDF application. Email this to email@example.com as soon as your online training plan has been signed by you and your host company supervisor
The fees for an extension are the same as if you were starting a new programme. For example, if you choose to extend for a further 6 months the fee for that extension will be the same as if you were applying for a 6 month programme.
▪ Your SEVIS number will remain the same as your original programme
▪ You should NOT travel outside the US without your extended DS-2019 Certificate.
▪ Your new J1 Visa should be applied for in your home country - if this is the UK you are able to apply for the Visa Re-isuuance programme/ Interview waiver programme (you will not need to attend an interview but can instead send your documents to the embassy for processing)
▪ The process will take between 4-7 days once you have submitted your documents to the embassy/ consulate - please allow enough time for this in your travel plans
*If you are applying for a new visa in the UK, you may be eligible for the Interview Waiver from the US Embassy
It's important to remember that when you extend your eligibility to remain in the USA you are not extending your original J1 Visa.
As such, should you travel outside the USA while on an extension to your programme you will need to apply for a new J1 Visa at your local home embassy in order to gain re-entry to the USA.
To do this you will need to follow the following steps:
• Complete a new DS-160 form
• Apply for a new visa using your original account at your local embassy/ consulate (this is where you booked your original interview)
• Your SEVIS ID AND Program number will remain the same as you are extending an existing and approved J1 program.
If you are based in the UK, Northern Ireland or the Republic of Ireland you may be eligible to apply for the interview waiver program.
*If you are eligible to apply for an interview waiver you will be notified of this when you apply for a new visa using the online booking system for wither the Uk or Republic or Ireland
This process will take approximately 1-2 weeks from the time you are able to submit your passport and new DS-2019 via the courier service. Please plan your travels accordingly!
Shakespeare Business Centre
245a Coldharbour Lane
Tel: +44 (0)207 788 7877