Before you leave for the U.S., there are lots of details to consider: important documents you will need, items to bring with you, travel and living arrangements, and more. To get you started, here is a list of tasks you must complete before departing:
- Research housing options
- Visit your doctor and dentist for a final checkup
- Make your travel arrangements
- Complete your CIEE online orientation
For more information about things to consider before leaving for the U.S., continue reading below:
If you take prescription medication, bring a supply that will last for your entire stay in the U.S., along with a doctor’s note listing your prescriptions and why you need them. You will need this information if you need to see a doctor while in the U.S. Learn more about CIEE medical insurance
PROOF OF FINANCES
You are responsible for all your living expenses while in the U.S. When you arrive, U.S. Customs may require proof that you have a suitable amount of money. Acceptable proof includes cash and/or current bank statements.
PREPARE FOR YOUR FLIGHT
Here are some helpful tips to make your journey as smooth as possible:
- Check with your airline about luggage fees and restrictions.
- Bring a change of clothes in your carry-on bag (in case your luggage is delayed).
- Do not bring any perishable foods.
- Get to the airport early.
- Keep your carry-on bags and important documents (passport, DS-2019, etc.) with you at all times.
- Get in touch with your host organization as soon as you have made your travel arrangements.
- Double-check the dates on your DS-2019 form, and make sure they fall within your actual travel dates.
- Be sure to enter your flight and visa information into the relevant section of your online BEACON account
- Contact your Host organisation in the USand let them know how you will be traveling from the airport to your destination.
If you have any questions, please contact our team using the form at the bottom of this page or at email@example.com