It is our policy not to place volunteers in the highly tourist-oriented resorts as an important aim of our programme is to encourage cultural exchange with the Thai people rather than with westerners!
The ability to speak English is seen as one of the most important skills in Thailand. As such, parents are very keen for their children to start learning early and “get ahead”.
Many young Thai children are sent to English speaking schools and even to to schools and colleges in Australia and America!
This programme allows participants to immerse in Thai culture, living with carefully selected host families between 1 – 3 months in return for informal English lessons to their children (and possibly the parents themselves).
We send volunteers to Thailand every month. Our Thai partner, Overseas Education Group (OEG) arranges placements and offers support and 24/7 emergency help to all volunteers.
The programme starts at the beginning of each month.
• Volunteers make their own arrangements for travel to Bangkok.
• On arrival they are given hotel accommodation and a 2-day orientation at the offices of OEG.
• The orientation helps volunteers to adjust to Thai culture, language and food. There is also guidance for the informal English lessons the volunteers will be giving.
• Volunteers are then transferred to their Thai families.
• In exchange for 15 hours of lessons per week, volunteers are given accommodation and meals. English lessons are very informal and concentrate on conversation and speaking skills.
√ Placement in a Thai Family
√ 24/7 support from our local partner (Overseas Education Group)
√ Transfer to hotel for 2 day orientation
√ All accommodation and meals
√ Pre-departure Support from both our Uk and Thailand team
√ Visa assistance
IST Plus was formed in 2003. Since then we have worked with thousands of students and young people from all over the world to help and guide them on their international journeys.
We work with partners across the globe to provide the best service possible.
In the UK: 0207 788 7877
International: +44 (20) 7788 7877