Intern in the USA for up to 12 months

With up to 30 days in the US at the end of your Internship
Label Text

Get Ahead

Interning or training at a top U.S. company is one of the smartest career moves you can make. Not only will you gain real-world skills that will serve you throughout your career, but you will also get valuable firsthand insight into American culture and business practices. Along the way, you will share ideas with colleagues, make important new business connections, and build lifelong friendships.

Label Text

Start Your Application today

In order to start the process you will need to register for an online account.
Please make sure you read the instructions carefully and also download your Supporting Documents


In order to apply for Internship USA you must meet the following criteria
  • You must be over 18
  • You must be in full time study at either university or university level on a course of at least 1 year in length
  • Your proposed Internship must be in a field directly related to your field of study at university and at least one month in duration
  • You must be studying in the UK/ Northern Ireland or a Uk citizen studying abroad
  • The Internship must be related to your field of study or accurately reflect your future career goals*

* This may require additional supporting documentation from your university or tutor

Label Text

Medical Insurance provided + COVID Cover

You're covered for the whole time you're in the USA

Label Text

How Much Does it Cost?

The Fees depend on the length of time you will be in the USA.
See Fees and Inclusions for detailed information

Label Text

Allowed Internship Activities

While most activities are allowed under the Internship Programme, there are some that are prohibited under the program guidelines - such as coaching, care of children etc.

Label Text

Unpaid Internships DO need a visa!

Even if you are planning on undertaking a short term unpaid internship experience in the USA you will need to apply for the Internship Programme. Under no circumstances are you allowed to use a Visa Waiver or tourist visa with the intention of undertaking any form of work placement - even unpaid.

Label Text

Does your Course Qualify?

If you are a full time student at university and currently attending class, you should be eligible for an internship in the USA.

*Please note the US government does not consider distance learning or online classes to be a full time course.

If you are not on a full time university course, the minimum requirement for eligibility for a J1 Intern category visa is HNC or equivalent - but only if you are already accepted and enrolled on a full time university level course to commence the following year.

The preferred minimum from the US Department of State is HND level or BTEC Professional Award Level 5.
Please note your course must be full time and your university or institution must confirm this in writing as part of the application process - see the Supporting Documents Section of this webpage

Label Text

Passport Requirements

In order to enter the USA on a J1 Visa Programme you must have a passport that is valid for AT LEAST 6 months AFTER the end date of your internship or traineeship.
Please make sure your passport meets these requirements. If not your application will be subject to delays as your legal paperwork (the DS-2019) can NOT be issued without a passport that meets these criteria.

Label Text

Host Organisation Eligibilty

Your Host Organisation (US employer) must provide structured and practical training while abiding by some key program regulations.

Your Host Organisation (US employer) must provide structured and practical training while abiding by some key program regulations.

  • J1 Participants are NOT allowed to work in a Home based office (i.e. a residential location).
  • The Host Organisation should ensure that the DS-7002 Training Plan is followed for the duration of the programme.
  • There must be a match between your background and the training.
  • Upon completion of the programme, you should plan to return to your home country.
  • The programme is not intended to help organisations fill staffing needs.
  • The training plan should reflect an understanding of what you will be learning, not only the needs of the business.
  • Your US Host Organisation must have Workers Compensation (or equivalent) insurance that will cover you for the time you are with their organisation (exceptions apply - please contact us for details)
  • Any unskilled or clerical activity must be kept to a maximum of 20% of the entire training period.

Please note: The following types of Host Organisation/ activities are NOT eligible to host international interns or trainees.

  • Certain limited service/economy hotel properties
  • Most home offices
  • Programs in aviation/construction/building (where training is completed in those fields)
  • Fast food franchises
  • Single-location retailers
  • Spas
  • Gyms

Label Text

Embassy Interviews

Once the application is complete and approved, you will need to book a face to face interview at your local US Embassy or Consulate

Label Text

Latest News

05 May 2022

While travel to the USA is now back to normal levels, there are still significant delays in geting visa interviews in some countries.

  • All international travellers will need to prove they are fully vaccinated before boarding a flight (for UK this will mean at least 2 weeks past your second vaccination).
  • They will also require a negative Covid-19 test within 24 hours of departure for the USA
  • Embassies in London, Belfast and Dublin are for visa processing, but there are significant delays and new processes.
  • Embassies may request you send in your legal documents before being able to apply for a visa interview. If you are directed to do this, please follow their instructions carefully and do this as soon as possible! This is as a result of significant staff issues with international courier firms as well as Royal Mail for domestic UK deliveries